What are Blackjack Myths?

Blackjack has remained one of the most popular table casino games in the world and stands as the top card casino game played today. Blackjack has over 300 years of history with the earliest examples dating back to the 1700s and, in that time, a wide variety of myths, superstitions and strategies have circulated amongst players. Some of these strategies are based on proven mechanics while others have grown from player superstitions as they attempt to maximise their Blackjack play.

New to Blackjack or just want to sharpen up your skills on one of the most popular casino card games? Check out our How to Play Guide to learn everything you need to know about mastering the game and getting started on your Blackjack adventures.

Top 15 Blackjack Myths answered

#1- Games have hot and cold streaks

This is a common myth across all table casino and slot games and is not true. While it may seem like you are on a hot winning streak or struggling to crack that first win, the results of each round are not connected in any way meaning there is always a chance to win or lose any respective game.

#2- The dealer always wins

While the house does have an advantage over the player in the long term, there is an average 42.22% chance of beating the dealer in any given round with an additional 8.48% chance of the game being a tie.

#3- Blackjack is a game of luck

While Blackjack contains some level of luck like all casino games, there is also quite a bit of skill involved. Using a sound strategy and knowing when to make certain moves is important to ensuring you have the strongest chance of beating the dealer.

#4- Using a strategy can help lower the House Edge

This is true as using a basic strategy can lower the House Edge to as little as 0.5%. If you are looking to equip yourself with some sound strategies for when you hit the table, check out some of our Top Blackjack Strategies and get the knowledge you need against the dealer.

#5- Progressive betting will increase your winning chances

Progressive betting dictates that, on every loss, you double your bet with the chance being that you will win bigger the next round. This is a strategy to be wary of as there is no guarantee that increasing your bet will lead to the next round being a winner. Play only what you are comfortable with and don’t feel like you need to place heavier bets during periods of losses.

#6- The goal of Blackjack is to get as close to 21 as possible

This is a common misconception that could lead to you busting more often than not. The focus of Blackjack is not to get to 21, but to either bust the dealer or have a higher final value. Follow a strategy and focus on the hand of the dealer to strategise your next move.

#7- Dealers always have a 10 value card in their hand

While it may seem like the dealer frequently has high-value cards, the dealer has the same likelihood as the player to draw these cards. In a standard game of Blackjack, there is a 31% chance of drawing a card with a value of 10 meaning there is an overwhelming chance that they will draw a non-10 valued card with a 69% chance.

#8- Low House Edge means you win more often

While having a low House Edge is important in the long-term, it does not dictate the chances of winning on each individual game. Each round is open to the luck of the cards and presents equal chances of winning or losing depending on the cards played and the moves made during the round.

#9- Learning Blackjack takes a long time

While it may appear that Blackjack has a lot of details and intense number cracking, the game itself is super simple to learn and quick to master. Check out How to play and become a master of the table in less than 10 minutes.

#10- Knowing when to leave the table is important

This is true as knowing when to call it a day is very important for keeping a handle on your gameplay time and budget. If you need some help with setting limits including deposit limits, game sessions, and setting account breaks, visit our Responsible Gambling Tools for more information.

#11- A bad player can mess up your chances of winning

This is a more common myth for live Blackjack games but rest assured that no other player at the table has any influence on your chances of winning. Focus on your hand and strategy to ensure that you are going in strong against the dealer to give you the best chance of winning.

#12- Good strategy means guaranteed wins

While having a solid strategy is great for lowering the House Edge and equipping you for any potential situation, none of them are 100% guaranteed to win. Blackjack still contains a level of luck when it comes to which cards are drawn so don’t expect even the most optimal strategy to win every time.

#13- Blackjack has one of the lowest House Edge of any casino game

Blackjack does have the lowest House Edge of any casino game with an average House Edge range of 0.42%-2%. Utilising a basic strategy can lower the house edge to as little as 0.5%; maximising your level of return long-term.

#14- You can predict the bust odds based on the dealer upcard

This is true as, depending on the dealer’s upcard, there is a higher or lower probability of the overall hand value leading to a bust. Overall, the highest bust odds are if the dealer’s upcard is 5 or 6 with the bust probability being 42.89% and 42.08% respectively. This will not be the case every single time but the probabilities are based on averages over long periods of play.

#15- Blackjack strategy charts are important to help you win

Blackjack charts can help you with understanding the optimal move for every card combination for both the dealer and your own hand. Struggling to decide when to hit or stand? Check out our Blackjack Charts and know exactly when to make the right moves on both your own hand and that of the dealer.

Online Blackjack games to test your skills

Now that you have separated the fact from the fiction, you are ready to hit the table and practice some of your newfound skills. Here are some of the top Blackjack games on MrQ to get you started.

TitleRTP(%)Description
Free Bet Blackjack98.45%Quintessential Blackjack action with up to 2 free bet actions including double and split pair that you can add to your hand for no additional cost.
Lightning Blackjack99.56%Add exciting multipliers to your Blackjack game including up to 25x win multiplier to your initial bet on a Blackjack.
Live Blackjack99.29%The authentic live Blackjack experience. Featuring a live dealer and all of your favourite bets and side bets, Live Blackjack brings you right into the land casino experience from the comfort of your own home.
Infinite Blackjack99.47%Take your live Blackjack experience to the next level with all-new side bets. Win additional bonuses for any pair, if the dealer has 19 or over, or gain the ultimate prize for busting the dealer. The more cards they have when they bust, the greater your cash winnings.

Where can I play Blackjack games online?

You can play all of the best real money Blackjack games, including a selection of live table games, on MrQ. Sign up today and experience over 900 real money slot and casino games and play on all of your favourite devices including PC, tablet, and mobile.

FAQ


Is Blackjack the highest RTP table game?

Blackjack games frequently have the highest RTPs of any table game with many of the games available on MrQ having an RTP of 99%+.


Is Blackjack skill or luck?

Blackjack has some luck but is a game primarily around strategic play. Utilising a Blackjack strategy is important as it helps lower the House Edge and gives a greater likelihood of making the right moves.


What is the House Edge for Blackjack?

Blackjack has the lowest House Edge of any table casino game with 2%. With a basic strategy, the House Edge can be lowered to as little as 0.5%.


What Blackjack game has the highest RTP on MrQ?

The Blackjack game with the highest RTP is Multihand Vegas Strip Blackjack with an RTP of 99.69%. For every £10 bet, the average return to player is £9.96 based on long periods of play.


Can I play Blackjack on mobile?

You can hit the table wherever and whenever you want as all of the top Blackjack games on MrQ are fully compatible on mobile devices. Sign up today and experience real money online Blackjack on the go including the premium selection of live Blackjack games from Evolution.


You might also be interested…

The Ultimate Party Playlist

The Ultimate Party Playlist

The Ultimate Party Playlist
All things entertainment! MrQ takes a look at the best Party Playlists for the complete entertainment package.
How to play Megaways Slots

How to play Megaways Slots

Master Megaways in minutes!
We show you how to play Megaways slots, the best games to play and give you advanced tips and tricks. Read the definitive Megaways guide at MrQ.
04 Nov 2021
First Ever Major WowPot Winner

First Ever Major WowPot Winner

MrQ crowns £350,000+ WowPot winner
MrQ player wins over £350,000 on Microgaming’s WowPot progressive.